a c h i e v e m e n t s
Updated: July 2015
c copyright 2004-15
all rights reserved.
1100 N. California Avenue
Chicago, IL 60622
Past Announcements are translated into Achievements!
· Amy Yurko was awarded the 2011 CEFPI School Planner of the Year! This is the highest and most distinguished honor conferred by the Council.
· Marysville Getchell High School Campus was awarded the 2011 CEFPI James D. MacConnell Award!
· SuValley Jr/Sr High School was awarded the 2011 CEFPI James D. MacConnell Award!
· Amy Yurko, AIA is named CEFPI Planner of the Year, Midwest/Great Lakes Region.
· On behalf of the non-profit organization, Schools for the Children of the World, board member, Amy Yurko, AIA speaks at the 2010 World Activism Expo in Chicago, IL.
· Amy Yurko, AIA speaks at the 2010 CEFPI Northwest Regional Conference in Talkeetna AK.
· The Fred and Sara Machetanz (South Palmer) Elementary School in Palmer, AK is awarded the regional CEFPI Pinnacle Award.
· “When Funding is Scarce: making the Best Use of Existing Facilities”, an illustrated article by Amy Yuriko, AIA, is published in the CEFPI Educational Facility Planner, Volume 44, Issue 2/3.
· Amy Yurko, AIA speaks at the 2010 CEFPI World Conference in San Jose. CA. For more information visit http://amyyurko.cefpi.org/.
· Katie Hart, travels to Honduras to help facilitate the construction and renovation of rural schools in support of the volunteer efforts of Schools for the Children of the World.
· Amy Yurko, AIA is appointed to serve on the national AIA Board Knowledge Committee. She is also elected to serve another term on the AIA Chicago Board of Directors.
· Clark Middle School wins the Len Mackler Award, the highest honor given by the Alaska Chapter of CEFPI
· Amy Yurko, AIA travels to New York to participate in the development of “Architect Challenge”, a reality TV production which will showcase the creative process of architectural design.
· Amy Yurko, AIA speaks at the 2009 CEFPI World Conference in Washington DC. on September 27th. For more information visit http://amyyurko.cefpi.org/.
· BrainSpaces is selected by River Forest Public Schools, District 90 to evaluate the schedule efficiency and educational effectiveness of all District facilities and provide a 2009 Utilization Report to inform the upcoming facility decisions of the School Board.
· Amy Yurko, AIA travels to Honduras to help facilitate the construction and renovation of rural schools in support of the volunteer efforts of Schools for the Children of the World.
· Amy Yurko, AIA is appointed to serve on the AIA Board Knowledge Committee. She is also elected to serve another term on the AIA Chicago Board of Directors.
· In association with klipp architects, BrainSpaces is selected to assist with the development of St. Vrain Valley High School in Longmont, Colorado.
· BrainSpaces is selected to assist with the development of Marysville Pilchuck High School in Marysville, Washington. In association with DLR Group, this is the second high school project for BrainSpaces in this District.
· Amy Yurko, AIA was a member of the jury for the Chicago Award in Architecture. The award, sponsored by AIA Chicago, is a competition among architecture students at UIUC, UIC, IIT, The School of the Art Institute and UWM, culminating in a cash prize and the Benn-Johnck Award.
· BrainSpaces conducts a 3-hour pre-conference workshop at the 85th Annual CEFPI Conference in San Diego! “Transforming a School District one Facility at a Time” was co-presented with Dr. George Copa and Architect Michael Carlson.
· Amy Yurko, AIA travels to Helsinki Finland to study school architecture with the AIA Committee on Architecture for Education.
· Amy Yurko, AIA is appointed Adjunct Associate Professor at Illinois Institute of Technology. She will be teaching Programming to Graduate Students and Doctoral Candidates in the College of Architecture.
· Amy Yurko, AIA helps select continuing education sessions for the 2009 National Convention as part of the AIA 2009 Convention Advisory Committee.
· Amy Yurko, AIA is a panelist in the opening session of the AIA Illinois Leadership Institute.
· BrainSpaces is selected to assist with the development of Churchill Community High School in La Ronge, Canada.
· BrainSpaces is selected to provide educational planning for Ryan Middle School in Fairbanks, Alaska. Peter Brown, AIA will lead the effort, and has engaged Dr. Mike Muir, Director of the Maine Center for Meaningful Engaged Learning to assist with the educational component.
· Amy Yurko, AIA travels to Denmark to study learning styles and the Danish school designs that support them.
· Amy Yurko, AIA is invited to serve on a panel entitled “The League of Extraordinary School Designers” as part if the AIA CAE’s Conference and School Building Expo.
· Amy Yurko, AIA collaborates with Craig Mason, AIA and Victoria Bergsagel to present “Vision to Reality”, a case study of the planning and design of Marysville Getchell High School, at the AIA CAE Conference in Chicago.
· BrainSpaces is selected to assist STR Partners in the development of the new Lincoln Middle School in Schiller Park, Illinois.
· Amy Yurko, AIA is elected Board Secretary for the NGO, Schools for the Children of the World. For more information, visit www.schoolsforchildren.org
· Amy Yurko, AIA & Jennifer Boyle-Tucker teach architecture to middle school students at Thomas Drummond School in Chicago.
· BrainSpaces is selected to write educational specifications for the Whaley Center, a K-12 school for emotionally disturbed students in Anchorage, Alaska.
· Amy Yurko, AIA is appointed to the AIA National Convention Continuing Education Advisory Committees for 2008 & 2009.
· Peter Brown, AIA LEED AP & Beth Hebert, PhD speak at the “Opening Minds” conference of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAYEC) in Chicago.
· Amy Yurko, AIA juries the annual design awards for the AIA’s Committee on Architecture for Education.
· Amy Yurko, AIA is appointed Chair of the National AIA Continuing Education Quality Assurance Panel. The 1st task for 2008 CEQAP is to define the parameters for the Sustainable Design Learning Unit continuing education requirement for AIA members to take effect in January of 2009.
· BrainSpaces conducts a 3-hour pre-conference workshop at the 84th Annual CEFPI Conference in Toronto! With standing room only, the topic of “Calculating School Capacity: Local, State & National Perspectives” was discussed. For access to the PowerPoint portion of the session, click here. Learn more about CEFPI here.
· Amy Yurko, AIA participates in the Great Schools by Design, National School Design Institute in Washington DC! During the 2-day event, Amy worked with representatives from the St. Louis School District to explore solutions for the renewal of an existing high school built in 1912. Solutions for all four participating school districts will be showcased in Architectural Record’s Schools for the 21st Century publication, released in January 2008. For more information, visit http://www.archfoundation.org
· BrainSpaces is selected by Glen Ellyn School District 41 to study the space utilization of all facilities in the District! Learn more about Glen Ellyn SD41 here.
· BrainSpaces is selected by the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District to develop Educational Specifications for the renewal of Barnette K-8 Magnet School! We have teamed with local firm USKH and award-winning architecture firm, McCool Carlson Green. Check out Barnette Magnet School here.
· BrainSpaces is selected by the Matanuska-Susitna Borough to develop Educational Specifications for the new Su Valley Jr./Sr. High School! Teaming with award-winning architecture firm, McCool Carlson Green, BrainSpaces will begin the interactive Educational Specifications effort this fall. Check out the Borough School District here. Learn more about MCG, visit www.mcgalaska.com.
· Amy Yurko, AIA is appointed to serve as AIA Liaison to the NAAB! 2007 AIA President RK Stewart nominated Amy as the AIA liaison to the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) Task Force for the 2008 NAAB Accreditation Review Conference. Specifically, the task force addressed trends in education including: studio culture, case studies, practice academies, internship/IDP, teaching offices and remote learning. Learn more about NAAB at http://www.naab.org/.
· Amy Yurko, AIA and Peter Brown, AIA LEED® AP jury the 2007 DesignShare Annual International Design Awards program! Nearly 50 projects representing innovations in educational facility design from around the world were included in this year’s program. Award winning projects are announced in September 2007. For more information and a database of award recipients from previous years, visit www.designshare.com.
· Amy Yurko, AIA is elected to the Board of Directors of Schools for the Children of the World. Schools for Children of the World is a non-profit organization committed to improving educational opportunity in under-developed countries through quality school facilities. Learn more and get involved with SCW at www.schoolsforchildren.org.
· Amy Yurko, AIA is a panelist at the 2007 AIA National Convention: “Matri ARCH itect”. This panel discussion provided an insider’s look at female led firms and individual female career paths. The panelists will discuss how their experiences contribute to sustaining their future and the future of the profession. By audience request, a blog on the topic has been initiated by the panelists. Let us know your issues and read through those of your peers at http://matriarchitect.com/.
· Amy Yurko, AIA worked with Los Angeles Unified School District to brainstorm solutions for a complex urban high school. Summaries of the 5 charrette subjects is also be featured in Edutopia, a publication of the George Lucas Educational Foundation. For more information, visit http://archrecord.construction.com/schools/0701_CH1_southLA.asp
· Amy Yurko, AIA is elected to the AIA Chicago Board of Directors! AIA Chicago is the largest professional association of licensed architects, architectural interns, and allied professionals in Illinois. It is the second largest AIA chapter in the country. Of the 70,000 AIA members across the country, over 2000 are in the Chicago Chapter. For more information, visit http://www.aiachicago.org
· Amy Yurko, AIA juries the 2006 Design Awards for CEFPI Alaska! For more information, visit http://alaska.cefpi.org/alaska2006_conference.html
· Amy Yurko, AIA participates in the Great Schools by Design, National School Design Institute in Washington DC! For more information, visit http://www.archfoundation.org and http://archrecord.construction.com/schools/0701_charrette_intro.asp
· Amy Yurko, AIA juries the 2006 American School & University’s “Architectural Portfolio” competition! For more information, visit www.schooldesigns.com/Architectural_Portfolio.htm.
· Amy Yurko, AIA juries the 2006 DesignShare Annual International Design Awards program! visit www.designshare.com for more information.
· Amy Yurko, AIA is appointed Chair of the Curriculum Design Sub-committee of the National AIA’s Continuing Education Quality Assurance Panel!
BrainSpaces achieves record for repeat clients!
We are proud of our record of performing the highest quality services that keep our clients coming back for more! thank you!